Old May 11th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
The Shadow The Shadow is offline

Default 2m FM calling practices

"Alan" wrote in message
In article . com
writes:
On Apr 29, 5:16 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:

In the USA, CQ is not used for VHF/UHF FM. Simply callsign monitoring.
CQ is used for the VHF/UHF SSB mode

Lamont

In some areas of the U.S, "CQ" is certainly used on VHF/UHF FM. If a
CQ works on 160 through 10 and works on 6m, 2m and 70cm SSB or CW,
pressing the PTT switch and saying, "CQ from K8MN" works fine on VHF
or UHF FM.

Dave K8MN

It seems that "monitoring" has fallen out of favor, at least with
folks I know. If you want to talk to someone, you might say something
like:

"Anyone around? callsign"

or even actually call CQ.

"Monitoring" tells me you are listening, but does not imply that you
are actively soliciting a contact, just that your radio is on.

Alan
wa6azp

I refer you to the ARRL Page at URL:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/repeater1.pdf

It sez"
"Making your first transmission on a repeater is as simple as signing your
call. If the repeater is quiet, just say "N1GZO" or "N1GZO listening" -- to
attract someone's attention."

Further it states "

"Don't call CQ to initiate a conversation on a repeater. It takes longer to
complete a CQ than to transmit your call sign. (In some areas, a solitary
"CQ" is permissible.) Efficient communication is the goal. You are not on
HF, trying to attract the attention of someone who is casually tuning across
the band. In the FM mode, stations are either monitoring their favorite
frequency or not."

At one time "monitoring " was for control operators, but now a days in So
Calif, you will here "Listening" or "Monitoring" Calling CQ on a repeater
will get you 10 guys replying "We don't use CQ on repeaters" and a big
argument about it. Travelling across country, the same protocol is generally
used IMHO.

Lamont