Old May 11th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
RDWeaver RDWeaver is offline

Default 2m FM calling practices

On May 11, 7:01 pm, John wrote:

Around my area, pretty much everything goes... (what's legal anyway).

As long as it's legal, that ought to be the test.

What ever happened to the old FCC Official Observer program? These
were licensed volunteers (hams just like you and me) who passed some
screening exam, and then cruised the bands looking for problems. As I
recall they had no 'police' power but could issue you a 'friendly
reminder', backed up by "chapter and verse" if you were afoul of the
rules. This reminder didn't go on any record, but was intended to
take a load off the FCC monitoring stations. I suppose that 'frequent
offenders' were referred upstairs, but I never heard of it.

73, RDW