Old May 12th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jack VK2CJC Jack VK2CJC is offline

Default 2m FM calling practices

Similar thing here. In the UK, it's generally frowned on to call CQ on a
repeater, but you often hear new licensees doing it. I usually just say
something like "G6URP listening GB3xx"

I do the same.

I think this whole "anti-CQ on repeaters" movement came from the days where
repeaters were a new and strange phenomenon. And possibly some used their
80m and 40m CQ calling techniques. You know what I mean- "CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ,
this is ????? CQ CQ CQ etc etc blah blah". Now doing THAT on a repeater
would annoy the life out of everyone so must be discouraged. And this has
developed into an intolerance to hearing the letters C and Q together.

After all, what's the difference between.

VK2CJC listening for any calls.
and
VK2CJC calling CQ.

Keep it short. Keep it clear. And who cares what terminology is used )