Old May 12th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default The term "Elmer"

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:39:03 -0400, Howard Lester wrote:

Much older than you think. I was licensed in '63 and I had an Elmer, who I
think was known as such back then. I think the term goes way back before
that.

Yes, WAY back before that.

I was also first licensed in 1963, and "Elmer" was a popular and
often-used term at the time. My elmer was my father, now a silent key,
who was first licensed in 1921, and he often spoke of HIS elmer from those
days. Whether the actual term "elmer" was used in 1921 I obviously can't
say from first hand experience, but I am QUITE certain that the term dates
back at least to the 50's or 40's.