Old May 17th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] k8mn@earthlink.net is offline

Default Radial laying methods

On May 16, 7:45 pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
RDWeaver wrote:
On May 16, 2:50 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:

So I did what any other nut would have done, I bought a small electric
chainsaw. for something like 39 dollars.

It's what the pro's use, on a different scale. Friend of mine does
fiber optic provisioning, and he's bringing on of these to my station
to plant coax.

See here -----http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Prod...ductView/10588

Well . . . there's a bit of difference between a ditch witch, which is
made for digging ditches and offers the operator reasonable protection
from flying debris, and using a chain saw that is designed for cutting wood.

Some of the ideas presented represent some of the most labor
intensive, dangerous methods I've run across.

Cut some #12 or #14 galvanized steel wire into six or eight inch
lengths. Fold them in half to form a hairpin. Lay out your radial
wires along the surface of your yard. Use a steel hairpin every three
or four feet to hold the wire to the earth. Within several weeks of
the grass growing and cutting cycle, the radials will disappear
beneath the surface of the grass, never to be seen again. I'm now up
to over 6,000 feet of vinyl insulated #12 and #14 radials for my 160m
inverted L using this method. There are no whirring metallic objects,
no chain saws. There's no digging and very little effort.

Dave K8MN