Old May 18th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) is offline

Default i need recommendations

As for power supplies, you should consider a 12-volt Absorbent Glass Mat
(AGM) battery with a maintenance charger (the kind that shuts itself off
when the battery is fully charged). That will give you pretty much
whatever surge current you need, and if your power fails your station
stays up.

AGM batteries are sealed, can be used indoors, and can be mounted in any
position (e.g. on their sides or even upside down, so they claim). They
are readily available (I get mine from Batteries Plus). I have a
105-amp-hour AGM battery for my motorhome, and a 33-amp-hour AGM battery
for my ARES "go kit".

I'm told that the so-called "gel cell" batteries are actually AGM
batteries.