Old June 12th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default A plea for civility

AF6AY wrote:
On Jun 11, 11:20?am, Michael Coslo wrote:
Bill Horne, W1AC wrote:
Fellow hams,

You're pretty much right there Bill, although I would not quite agree
on tekkie folks going to the internet. I don't think we're producing
many tech folks at all. But that's another issue.

I am convinced that what we need a

Kind and friendly folk who are willing to take the newbies under their
wing and teach them.

Ahem...most of the "newbies" recently getting on HF aren't "new" at
all but have now been able to administratively change their class as a result
of FCC 06-178. [I am a relatively rare extra-out-of-the-box who has been
IN radio longer than most here, but I'm cheering for the recent
'upgraders.']

True enough, but I'm not really addressing admin upgrades. There is a
new group of Hams who are interested in radio, but may not know all that
much. In our area we nave new Hams who haven't used a soldering iron. We
teach 'em how to use one.

There are some Hams who would hold these unpolished gems in contempt
for their lack of knowledge.

Folk who do not judge other Hams by their favorite mode of operation.

Whoa! BIG issue from what I've heard. Usually its against DSB AM as
if it is some cardinal sin! I don't understand it even though I've heard
all the rationales of "limited bandspace" and all that for years.

There is some contention here. The enhanced bandwidth SSB crowd is
pretty roundly panned for their use of bandwidth. Theey might point out
that the AM'ers also use a lot.

My thoughts are that the AM is a legacy mode, and there really aren't a
lot of practitioners, so I am willing to put up with that bit of extra
use. Wide band SSB on the other hand, is just a mode that doesn't serve
much purpose.

Folk who are willing to go after the jammers and riff raff and follow
through with that RDP.

I don't know about all this "riff-raff" stuff since I've not heard
much, yet I can receive fairly good over HF, same as most others. So far, I've
only had one UNIDENTIFIED Raddio Kopp try to flash his badge about my
using the phrase "roger that" instead of just 'roger.' :-)

There is a fair amount of interference out there. It isn't really too
many people, much less than 1 percent, but that small group can wreak
some havoc.

And as I have said before, there is altogether too much worry about
saying the exact correct words. If more hams worried about actual
problems, and less about speech patterns, it would be FB... ;^)

How does one follow up on the Unidentified riff-raff without having a
trio of DF-equipped hams all taking bearings at the same time?

More or less just that, Len. There are a lot of Hams who love
Fox-Hunts. This would be different from most fox hunting, but would
serve an actual useful purpose. We have Hams who travel to some pretty
awful places to DXpedition. Seems a few might want to do some direction
finding.

Sometimes this isn't even needed, as some of the miscreants aren't too
secretive about their callsigns.

Shout and holler in newsgroups and other forums and demand somebody do
something?!?

Hehe, people have tried that for some time, and it doesn't work too well.

Listening to 10m here I just don't get all that
"jamming"
and "riff-raff" supposedly done by CBers, just hams doing their ham
thing with a few complaining about that CBer riff-raff. :-(

I don't spend a lot of time on 10 m, but what time I have spent there,
the inhabitants have been pretty well behaved. Most of my experience
with the bad guys has been on 75 meters, and a little on 20.

I like the sound of DSB AM. Saves having to retweak tuning for a
network of SSB users, none of which are exactly on-frequency.