Old June 19th 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Mike Coslo Mike Coslo is offline

Default A plea for civility

Phil Kane wrote in
:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:32:04 EDT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

While it does indeed interfere with
our service, we can inadvertantly shut it down just by transmitting
legally. I wonder how the customers will feel about losing their
access for large chunks of time. I really don't think it will ever get
that far, however.

If that were to happen, the BPL providers would exercise the same
"money talks and big money talks loudly" leverage as they have done to
get BPL approved, and thereby get the FCC to shut the Amateur Radio
services down in those areas, much as the Air Force (my pre-FCC
employer) is clobbering 3/4 meter band operation with their Pave Paws
radar systems.

I think the two situations are a little different, depending on who is
the primary and secondary users of a particular frequency.

I wonder if they will ban The users of 11 meters too? 5 watts is enough
to disrupt BPL.

I don't think that the money will talk loudly enough as the sunspot cycle
picks up again. Could be wrong about that tho'

And even if so, It is just poor technology, and has so many levels of
possible failure.

My personal opinion is that BPL will self-destruct on economic grounds
if we amateurs can just hold out long enough.

We agree on that, for sure.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -