Old June 25th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Field Day?

Pat Cook wrote:
Hi everyone:
Bryan wrote:
The logging PC will have it's own homebrew DC-DC boost converter.

Out of curiosity (Yes I know what it does to cats *LOL!*), why not just
simply use A LAPTOP? You can always replace the batteries in a laptop.

Again....Just out of curiosity (At the risk of feline death I might add
*LOL!*)

Cheers & 73

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado

We *did* use a laptop. The batteries won't run 24 hrs continuously w/o
being changed which, in the middle of a pileup, you don't want to have to
do. On the other hand, 4 x 80 Ah 12V lead-acid batteries in parallel can
more than handle the load of a 100W HF xcvr + the laptop's meager power
requirement. We used this unit in Tent2, with zero issues. Tent1 used
AC-powered equipment and they had to keep an eye on the generator fuel
level... while listening to the drone of the engine.
Bryan WA7PRC