Old June 25th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default Ideas needed for a new organization

Paul W. Schleck wrote on 24 June 2007:

It might also be reasonable to assume that those who find fault with the
ARRL would find as much, or worse, fault with a new organization. Such
an organization can never be perfect, and will not be able to avoid
disagreeing with someone on some point of view. Practical
administration of such an organization, particularly if it encompasses a
large cross-section of amateurs, will likely involve some negotiation
and compromises.

The ARRL is more Publishing House than a membership organization.
That part brings in the majority of a reported income to the IRS of
greater than $10 Million US annually. Can one "negotiate" with a
business? There is NO competitor for the ARRL to work against.

... Are the complainers and non-joiners up to the task?

I am a voting member of the ARRL. I joined via Internet a couple
days after my name and callsign appeared on the FCC database.
Indeed, at the same time of day as joining, I was in private e-mail
with Ed Hare, W1RFI.

First problem: Someone at ARRL offices added an "Apartment 33"
to my QST address. I live in a single-family residence and have for
44 years. The Fullfillment Office at the ARRL did eventually correct
that. They may not be talking to their ARRL VEC side at Newington.
Not a big problem but it amused our USPS deliverer.

Second problem: Two weeks after receiving my ARRL membership
card in the mail, a "Ham Kit" of literature was in my mailbox,
offering
"my choice of a book 'free' if I were to join." I contacted ARRL by e-
mail
and was - essentially - shined off. Since I had already joined by my
own volition, TS, the 'free offer' doesn't apply to me. Am I happy
with
that? No. Can I do anything about it? No. Did I know about this
'free offer' ahead of time? No. Was the ARRL VEC side of ARRL
talking to the ARRL Membership people? Apparently not.

That's just one small sampling of one very new member of the ONLY
national amateur radio membership organization in the USA. It has
had many variations of problems with many others.

However, it would seem that one should NOT complain about the
League, am I correct? "Bad Form," yes? :-(

AF6AY