Old June 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Field Day?

Jim N2EY wrote:

This year I'll be going out with a club group, running 3A. This FD is
part readiness-exercise, part training, part publicity, part contest,
and part social event. The first 100 points are already in the log.

Results of the above operation:

We had 3 HF stations on the air, and one VHF/UHF. HF rigs were all
100-watt-class middle-of-the-line transceivers, with various dipole
antennas (OCF and G5RVs). N3FJP computer logging with networked
computers at each setup.

We made 470 CW and 342 'phone QSOs, with just one HF station on CW vs.
two HF and one VHF/UHF on 'phone. Bonus points for 100% emergency
power, "natural" power, W1AW message, SM message, information table,
public location, publicity, and electronic log submittal.

Great wx, lots of new and old friends, good food and lots of good
times. Some folks dropped by for a few minutes, some were there
beginning to end, and everything in between. Setup and takedown were
done in record time due to good planning and experience.

Only 368 days till the next one!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Considering the poor solar activity, that sounds pretty good! Though I
haven't seen the exact tally for the Machias Radio Group (W7MRG) running 2A
+ VHF, I think we'll come pretty close to your's.

We had CW & fone tents (I stayed w/ the fone tent). The CW guys forgot to
bring the 80m antenna and had to make-do w/ the 40m antenna + tuner. Still,
they had just over 400 Qs. The fone tally was 360 Qs. We also had the
usual bonus points... emergency power, public location, info table,
publicity, and W1AW message.

We had some snafus w/ setup of the fone antennas so, we weren't operational
until late Friday night. An interfacing problem w/ the intended DVK made us
switch to Plan B. I'm glad it worked... we didn't have a Plan C! The wx
here in the Pacific "Northwet" cooperated, for the most part. The rain
didn't happen until we had the tents up, and then abated until *after* we
were packed up for the drive home. )

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC