Old July 19th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1559 - June 29, 2007

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
William M. Pasternak wrote:

HAM RADIO TRENDS: LEAGUE CITES NO-ODE AS REASON FOR MEMBERSHIP GROWTH

Thee ARRL Letter says that its membership in the League is up and the
trend is toward continued growth. With now close to 152,000 members,
Customer Service Manager Amy Hurtado, KB1NXO, says the League is a
viable, up-to-date organization that every ham should be a part of.

Hurtado credits the rise in membership in part to the FCC rule changes
earlier this year that eliminated Morse code testing for the General and
Amateur Extra license classes. She says that since more people are
upgrading their licenses as a result of there being no Morse code
requirement, the League is now successfully able to show them the
benefits of being an ARRL member. (ARRL)

This is a relatively late reply to this post, but it bears a reply
nonetheless.

I would have to agree with the league's assessment of why they are getting
an increase in membership.

This will probably be an overall good thing for the league, and probably
Amateur Radio in general. I have always been a little concerned that more
Hams were not members. I think this bears some discussion.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

A cautionary note here though. This is still less than 25% of all licensed
amateurs. We will have wait and see.

Dee, N8UZE