Old July 19th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1559 - June 29, 2007

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
36...
"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

[snip]

A cautionary note here though. This is still less than 25% of all
licensed amateurs. We will have wait and see.

Certainly it is a "quick look" assessment.

But I think it is a step in the right direction.

My rationale is this:

Around half of all Amateurs were/are Technicians. When I was a
Technician, I saw the League as an interesting thing, but I did not join
until I got my General license. The reason why was that I saw it as more
relevent to my evolving interests. So while there are always going to be
people who are only interested in the VHF/UHF portions of the spectrum,
IMO the "prize" of the ARS is HF access. And once you get serious about
that, the ARRL, and QST is of much more interest. Once you get HF access,
and you get interested in the league, you get more info on what is going
on, and a positive feedback loop is generated.

We might debate over the qualifications of the qualified, but my
experience so far is that the new crop are fine gentlemen and ladies. I'm
pleasantly satisfied so far.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

I've often wondered how many of the members joined for the primarily to be
able to use the outgoing QSL service and be eligible for the various
operating awards (WAS, DXCC, etc.)? It's unlikely that there is a way to
get an accurate count on that though.

Dee, N8UZE