Old August 3rd 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) - Background checks

William M. Pasternak wrote:

Regarding ARRL's position on the background check issue

"It is not reasonable for a served agency to require these volunteers to
consent to credit checks, mode of living investigations or investigative
consumer reports. In negotiating or renegotiating Memoranda of
Understanding that commits the League to provide volunteer emergency
communications support, the League must be assured that these volunteers
will not be required by the partner organization to consent to credit
checks, mode of living investigations or investigative consumer
reports." - End quote.

While a criminal activity check is a fine idea - and pretty painless,
the business of conducting lifestyle checks and credit checks is just
plain invasive. If they check lifestyle, they make judgments on it.

The ARRL policy stopped short of telling those radio amateurs wanting to
volunteer to agencies that require credit and lifestyle checks not to do
so. That said, many hams will likely now think twice before clicking
away their financial information to any group that wants them to work
for free.

Good point. I'll happily submit to any of the State Police background
checks. But it they want more than that, I'll find some other way to
give back to the community.

After all, I have something to hide.... I'm a registered Independent
voter!, heheh...

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -