Old August 5th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones Ivor Jones is offline

Default Whatever Happened to the Electronics Hobbyist?

"Grümwîtch thë Ünflãppåblê"
wrote in
message
"Paul W. Schleck" wrote in
message ...

"Whatever Happened to the Electronics Hobbyist?"

Part (not all) of the allure of kits and homebrewing was
"I can build it cheaper than buying". The price of labor
has gone down as a percentage of manufacturing costs, so
purchased-ready-built has gone down over the years.
73, BGO

I've never been a great constructor, due in part to the fact that I've
never lived anywhere with sufficient space to have a decent workbench.

However, the one item I did build of which I am still intensely proud was
a terminal unit for a good old mechanical teleprinter to use on RTTY, back
in the days before computers ruined it ;-)

It took me a long time, but it was one of a kind. It had all sorts of
bells & whistles that "standard" TU's didn't have and was built into a
housing for a telex control unit to match the teleprinter.

Unfortunately, it got destroyed, along with the Creed 444 that it
connected to, in a house fire in 1990 :-(

73 Ivor G6URP