Old August 19th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Diamond Terrace

Phil Kane wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:37:27 EDT, Dave Heil
wrote:

I mind the idea that the League will
take a 35 cent brick, engrave it and charge someone a couple of hundred
bucks to place it someplace where the donor will likely never have a
chance to enjoy his pricey purchase.

What's the difference between that and the "John Smith Memorial
Chapel" or the "Bessie Jones Dining Room" at any other institution?

Very little, though I can pray at John's and eat at Bessie's. The best
I can do with the Diamond Terrace is hike to Newington and walk on the
bricks--or have someone send me a photo.

Personally, I don't want to be remembered by the "Phil Kane Toilet
Seat" but doing those brick things are a legit fundraising technique
nowadays...

Sure, Phil. "Legit" it is. There's a historic railway baggage building
here and the local historical society is selling the same bricks you get
for the Diamond Terrace, only they're fifty bucks each and I can see 'em
anytime I want.

...no different from selling dedications and memorial plaques
in the name of donors at many schools and congregations.

I'm holding out for my name on the Men's Room at the Madonna Inn between
San Francisco and L.A. on the 101.

Dave K8MN