Old August 20th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Diamond Terrace

Dave Heil wrote:
I don't mind the idea that someone will be walking on bricks engraved
with the call of a silent key. I mind the idea that the League will
take a 35 cent brick, engrave it and charge someone a couple of hundred
bucks to place it someplace where the donor will likely never have a
chance to enjoy his pricey purchase. Since Mary Hobart (K1 More Money
Honey) came aboard, the ARRL has been all about raising money through a
number of elitist schemes.

In the money raising game, it becomes difficult to come up with good
ideas to raise that cash. Membership fees are one way. But when extra is
needed, new ideas are needed. Sometimes a group will offer "lifetime"
memberships. These can generate a bit more spending money. Those are a
good deal for someone who became a lifetime member a long time ago,
(what did a lifetime membership cost in 1970?) but that money is long gone.

So the engraved brick thing is one of the ways that ARRL and others use
to keep things interesting. I've seen it on other places such as fishing
piers like the one in Flagler beach Florida, where the pier gets knocked
down by a hurricane every ten years or so. So they have a "buy a plank"
effort. You "buy" one, and your name gets routed into the plank for all
to see. The pier is rebuilt, and everyone is happy. You can even buy a
bench or pier shelter.

The nice thing is that even those who do not buy a plank or other item
are welcome to use the pier.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -