Old August 20th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Diamond Terrace

Phil Kane wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:37:27 EDT, Dave Heil
wrote:

I mind the idea that the League will
take a 35 cent brick, engrave it and charge someone a couple of hundred
bucks to place it someplace where the donor will likely never have a
chance to enjoy his pricey purchase.

What's the difference between that and the "John Smith Memorial
Chapel" or the "Bessie Jones Dining Room" at any other institution?
Personally, I don't want to be remembered by the "Phil Kane Toilet
Seat" but doing those brick things are a legit fundraising technique
nowadays, no different from selling dedications and memorial plaques
in the name of donors at many schools and congregations.

It is a revenue generating technique that is becoming increasingly
popular. We have a restored theater in town that raised funds this way.
There are some sports venues in the area that have donors plaques posted
in their facility - including bronze, silver, and gold donor plaques
obviously based on how much money was donated.

While I can understand that some might consider it a vanity thing, I
also know that without those donors, there probably wouldn't be a
facility or theater for people to use.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -