Old September 1st 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dr.Ace Dr.Ace is offline

Default 160m Stealth

"John Doe" wrote in message
. ..
SNIPPED

My idea is to strap either a metal or pvc painted pole near the top of the
tree, with a mount bracket for the whip (of course all painted to look
like the tree). I will have to feed it with RG-8x (painted) run down the
tree and buried in a trench to the house.

As far as radials go - They are out of the question. Instead - what do you
think if I should just roll up say 250ft of 13ga or so of single conductor
wire about a foot in diameter, attached at the base of the mounting
bracket (hung in the tree) and use it as a counterpoise? I might be able
to hang in the lower branches of the tree - a waterproof box with a

If I could tune TX/RX with this configuration, then I could possibly use
it to cover all of the HF bands.

Of course, I would like to work DX, but if not possible, then at least
conus.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

73's Howard, W3CQH

Hello,
I remember reading some years ago about a 160 mtr "snake" antenna made
from a piece of coax that laid on top of the ground. About like a garden
hose might. You could even roll it up on a garden hose reel when not in use.
Part of the theory as I remember, was that on 160 mtr band almost no hams
have their antennas at least a 1/4 wave above ground and that RF ground can
be several feet below ground level depending on soil characteristics,
moisture content etc.
The snake antenna is a length of coax with the braid open at the feed point
and the
center and shield shorted at the far end . High voltages can easily be
generated, so it is a good idea to insulate the coax at the feed point, and
at the
far end 100% silicon caulking moisture.
The coax should NOT be an integral number of 1/2 wavelengths long.
Keep in mind that the "Snake" is a compromise antenna , so don't expect to
set any records with it.

Thinking about the "Snake" antenna reminded me of the "Cobra" antenna
http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/...adio_cobra.pdf

73, Ace - WH2T

..