Old September 24th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Suggestion for an HF starter rig

Hi Jim,

While most rigs these days are at least "pretty good", I would put out a
shameless plug for a rig like the Kennwood TS-830.

I had the chance to go over one of those old beauties recently, and
found it a sweet radio indeed. It has tube finals, and a very nice
receiver. It has the Kenwood sound to boot. Lots of knobs if you are a
tweaker. These can be found in the 3-400 dollar range.

Other radios I've had the chance to evaluate are the:

IC-761. A high quality radio. It is a big one though. But I like large
radios.

IC-745. Second Generation synthesized Rig. Pretty good one. Smaller
radio for the day. You could go mobile with this one.

IC-756 Pro - A fair radio. The Pro II is better, but probably priced
outside your range.

I might suggest picking up a tuner such as one of the MFJ 300 watt ones.
Then get ladder line, and throw a general purpose dipole in your trees.
That for my money is the best starter antenna going, and can service you
long after you're a newbie. Some do not like to have to tune the
antenna, but I can say that It is possible to contest with such a setup.

Finally, look around and be patient, better deals come to the patient.

From 5.5 years ago......

My first setup was:

IC-745 - $250.00 used

MFJ 949 Tuner - $129.00 new

Ladder line - $30.00 new

Antenna wire - $12.00 for a 500 foot reel of #12 THNN

There is $421 dollars and on the air. I don't remember the costs of the
nylon rope and misc stuff like end insulaters, but it wasn't much extra.

And of course, you won't find copper at that price, but you can expect
to pay 60 or so for 100 feet of ladder line, and whatever outrageoous
price for wire these days.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -