Old September 25th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS: NFCC VOTES TO RECOMMEND FCC TREAT ALL REPEATERS AS REPEATERS

In article ,
Klystron wrote:

What are the pros and cons of such a policy? Does it seem like an
attempt to hinder the spread of D-Star or is it more likely to benefit
D-Star?

Well, as I read it, the new policy (if adopted by the FCC) simply puts
D*Star repeaters on an equal footing with FM-voice repeaters, in terms
of the portions of the band that they can use, and their basic
operating rules. It might (depending on interpretation) rule out the
operation of such repeaters on those frequencies which are normally
assigned in the bandplan for packet systems (nodes and BBSes).

In areas of the country where the 2-meter and 440 repeater frequencies
are fully allocated (major metro areas) this might tend to delay the
availability of D*Star repeater coverage, as those wishing to set up
such a digital-voice repeater would have to contend with other
repeater owners for an allocation on any repeater frequency which
might become available. Or, I suppose, they could persuade an
existing voice repeater to switch over to D*Star operation.

In areas of the country with open repeater slots I doubt it will
matter much, and I doubt that it will hinder operation in the 1.2-gig
band at all (there isn't much ham activity in those allocations).

Whether this is an "attempt to hinder the spread of D*Star" is a
question of motive, and I have no information about the motives of
those who voted for the new proposal. It's possible, I suppose... but
it's equally possible that some of the voters felt that D*Star
proponents were trying to ignore a long-established precedent, and to
do an "end run" around the groups which have been chartered to do
repeater coordination and prevent (or at least reduce or manage)
problems of repeater-induced interference.

So, there's probably politics on all sides, as is usually the case
where humans are involved :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO