Old September 25th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Klystron Klystron is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS: NFCC VOTES TO RECOMMEND FCC TREAT ALL REPEATERS AS REPEATERS

Michael Coslo wrote:
[...]
The repeaters would have to be treated very carefully. As I read it, a
digital repeater would take up 300 KHZ of space! Yoiks! I would have to
think that these repeaters would be coordinated in the same way a
regulre one would be. It will take some extra care, given the Bandwidth
requirements.

Is that 300 kHz figure for digital voice (DV) or digital data (DD)?
It looks like DD is only offered on 1200 MHz, where that sort of
bandwidth requirement may not be a problem. The brochure for the Icom
ID-800 shows a "Digital transmission speed" of 4.8 kbps and a "Voice
coding speed" of 2.4 kbps (on 2 meters and 440), suggesting that
voice-only data rates will be consistent with data rates typically seen
on the Internet for voice-only streaming audio, such as the radio stream
on Bloomberg.com.

--
Klystron