Old September 25th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Klystron Klystron is offline

Default BREAKING NEWS: NFCC VOTES TO RECOMMEND FCC TREAT ALL REPEATERS AS REPEATERS

(Dave Platt) wrote:

Well, as I read it, the new policy (if adopted by the FCC) simply puts
D*Star repeaters on an equal footing with FM-voice repeaters, in terms
of the portions of the band that they can use, and their basic
operating rules. It might (depending on interpretation) rule out the
operation of such repeaters on those frequencies which are normally
assigned in the bandplan for packet systems (nodes and BBSes).
[...]

Icom has a band chart (made up by Gordon West) on its web site that
shows specific band segments designated for Digital, without further
explaining what the word "Digital" means (FM packet, DV or DD). This
makes sense, as you wouldn't want to hear squeaking, squalking digital
noises as you try to tune along an FM segment with an FM-only rig. My
hope is that some underutilized segments of the 440 band (such as the
ATV channel that covers 438 to 442) will be reassigned for digital use,
repeaters as well as simplex.

Whether this is an "attempt to hinder the spread of D*Star" is a
question of motive, and I have no information about the motives of
those who voted for the new proposal. It's possible, I suppose... but
it's equally possible that some of the voters felt that D*Star
proponents were trying to ignore a long-established precedent, and to
do an "end run" around the groups which have been chartered to do
repeater coordination and prevent (or at least reduce or manage)
problems of repeater-induced interference.

So, there's probably politics on all sides, as is usually the case
where humans are involved :-)

That's understandable, but as MOST people understand, time marches on
and thing change. The existing band plans are not carved in stone and
all parties concerned will need to be realistic about the constant and
never ending need for change and flexibility.

--
Klystron