Old September 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default Suggestion for an HF starter rig

On Sep 28, 8:22 am, "Howard Lester" wrote:
wrote

The big problem with HF/MF antennas for the radio amateur is that
the best choice is so dependent on the site and what the amateur
intends to do. This is why it is impossible to give general advice
about HF antenna types that is any good, without knowledge of
the available resources and intended use.

You're right. We've (I've) made assumptions of property conditions that may
not exist for the OP. (snipp)
We don't know the OP's situation.

Well, based on his call sign and the FCC's data for the address I did
a bit of detective work and found that this guy will have some unique
issues to deal with. The aerial photos of the address indicate that
there are some mature looking trees about so some random length wire
antenna may be possible. The lots seem very small compared to the
size of the houses too, what we'd call zero lot line homes in the
Texas area.

However, the most interesting thing is that it seems that he is
located in a valley with some fairly high mountains about that may
limit even the best HF antenna situation. This is clearly a problem
to the west as the QTH seems to be located on the base of the
mountains to the west.

I do like the random wire ideas though. This months QST has a brief
description of one installation of a random wire loop in an attic.
You just never quite know how these will perform until you put them up
and try. It can be discouraging if things don't work out though.

-= Bob =-