Old October 9th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dr.Ace Ratliff Dr.Ace Ratliff is offline

Default Cassettes/CD's (was: Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1573 - October 7, 2007)

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

One thought that occurs to me (because I have personal experience of it)
is that some disabled people may actually not be able to physically handle
CD's. I know this because my brother is one of them. He is severely
physically disabled, has cerebral palsy and simply cannot pick up a CD/DVD
from its case and put it into a player. He can just about, with a lot of
physical effort, put a cassette into a tape player and set it running, but
he has a lot of difficulty manipulating the controls and is always chewing
up tapes due to continually stopping/starting/winding them.

He is a big fan of classical organ music and we buy him CD's and copy them
onto cassettes for him, but as he is constantly (through no fault of his
own) destroying them, we have to re-record them every so often. The
trouble is, blank cassettes are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.
Those stores that do still stock them say that when their stocks are
exhausted they won't be having any more.

What my brother and people like him (surely he can't be the only one..?)
will do then is anybody's guess.

73 Ivor G6URP

Ivor ,
Here is a possible solution.
I use a Sony DVD "Disk Explorer". My old model holds 200 disks. It will play
audio CD's, MP3's, WMA, DVD, Video CD,s etc. They make/made a newer model
that holds 300 disks. I know these units can be cascaded via jacks on the
back of the units. I bet there are similar audio CD only units out there.
Once loaded with disks, the disks never need to be touched again.
73, Ace - WH2T

..