Old October 11th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Wall Street Journal Article on Morse Code

In oups.com
wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...206850468.html

This was a front page article.

"Like all Morse experts, Mr. Adams rarely breaks signals down into
letters, instead hearing complete words much as readers recognize words
on a page. When he transcribes a message at high speeds, his fingers are
five or 10 words behind his ears."

I've been licensed since 1961, and I've heard and read things like this
ever since.

I operated strictly CW for most of that time and I've never come close
to being able to copy like that.

I can copy by ear at 30-35WPM, but can only transcribe at about 20WPM
because I write down each letter as I hear it; copying behind is an
absolute mystery to me, as is the idea of hearing words instead of
individual letters.

It's probably way too late for me to get over 45 years of bad habits,
but how do people achive this state?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN