Old October 13th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester Howard Lester is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

"Steve Bonine" wrote

I was also first licensed in 1963 and I think I had three crystals, but
one was 3706. That must have been a common frequency for a surplus xtal.

Gosh, Steve - I wonder if we worked each other. My antenna was so poor that,
when I used an EICO VFO as a transmitter hooked up to a 100 ft random
receiving antenna (with no matching system whatsoever) -- the EICO did
better! With it, I worked 14 states including Oklahoma (from the NYC area).
(Then I got an "OO" card in the mail, chastising me for using a VFO as a
novice. I guess "OO" stands for "OH-OH!")

The Johnson Challenger was, on 80m, hooked up to a 40m vertical dipole
hanging from the roof ledge of an 8 story apartment roof. Yep, it was right
up against the brick wall. I was on the 5th floor. What a moron... ;-) See,
I couldn't find any 40m crystals, so I got one for 80, and.... But that
Challenger could actually load a 40m antenna on 80.

Thus the license class "novice."

Howard