Old October 14th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Howard Lester Howard Lester is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

wrote

As I was about to leave, the FCC examiner said "why don't you try
Advanced while you're here?" Though I hadn't prepared for it, there
was no way a 14 year old kid would say no to The Man From FCC, so I
tried it - and passed.

That white shirt and tie was pretty intimidating, wasn't it? I think it was
in 1968 that I went to the NYC office for my Advanced. I knew I failed...
but the man in the white shirt went over my answer sheet and casually said,
"You passed." "I DID!?" was my trembling response.... "Yeah." Oh. I
walked out of the exam room, went down the hall, threw my pencil in the air
over my back and kept going.

Now exams are given in people's living rooms....

Tomorrow it will be 40 years since the license arrived in the mail...

Congratulations, Jim. It's quite a "club" we belong to.

Howard N7SO