Old October 16th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

Michael Coslo wrote:

So much depends on our outlook, but I would trade that guy's kindness
and eagerness to get me into the fold, over being intimidated by the
steely eyed examiner. It made me look forward to passing my test and
getting into that fraternity. Which I did a few months later. And passed.

Ah . . . back then, the 5 wpm code test was not administered by the FCC,
at least not for the Novice ticket. It was administered by your fellow
operator, as part of the examination for Novice.

I gave a number of Novice exams back then, and it was always a pleasure
to do so. I also taught a number of Novice classes, most of which was
code, and enjoyed doing it. Mostly I think my students enjoyed it, too.

So we got both experiences . . . an Elmer's kindness, plus the steely
eyed examiner grin (Although my memory of the examiners in Chicago is
a pretty positive one.)

73, Steve KB9X