Old October 17th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:16:14 EDT, wrote:

Not to mention all the tax dollars that we're
saving.

*That* is the only reason we have the VE system, IMHO.
The FCC got unpaid volunteers to do almost all the work of test
preparation and administration, instead of paying federal
employees to do it.

That is not the only reason - part of the problem was that the very
high brass had no idea why we were in the regulatory business in the
first place. That culminated in the big decimation of the field staff
in 1995-96 with the concomitant decline of the reputation and respect
that the FCC had before then.

The "tax money" that was allegedly saved was poured down other holes
that were created just because the position slots came available.

But you knew that....

DGMS
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane