Old October 23rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Entry-level class

On Oct 23, 12:15?am, Steve Bonine wrote:

I actually have a bit of a problem explaining to potential Technician
Class licensees that they have CW privileges on HF bands. It just
seems
either ironic or silly.

I think it's neither.

The way I would present it is that the limited HF privileges of the
Technician are there if people want to use them. Amateur radio
is not all voice, particularly on HF, and the students need to know
that fact.

An HF demo is an excellent idea, but probably not possible as
part of
the actual class. Setting up an HF station at the classroom
location
would be an interesting challenge. (Might be fun,
though.) Perhaps I
will invite the class to visit me at home so I can do some HF work, or
even schedule an extra session that's billed as a review session
plus demo.

Or put together a video of HF stations in action. That way you
can cover a lot of ground in a short time, and present a wide
variety of modes and equipment types. Ask around - there
are probably hams in your area who would demo everything
from CW to AM to satellites to PSK31 for a video.

I prefer to explain things from the point of view that
Technician is the
entry-level license, then demonstrate HF and explain that it's
available
by passing additional written exams that are similar to what they're
studying for now.

But that's not entirely accurate - and you shouldn't present
inaccuracies.

The HF privileges of Techs today are far more than what I got as a
Novice, yet I was more than willing to pass the tests just to get
those old Novice bands.

My experience is that "CW" is a four-letter word. YMMV.

It's all about attitude. CW is a big part of amateur radio, and
should be presented. There's no test for it, but it's something
Techs are allowed to do.

The key (pun intended) is to present it as something positive
that can be learned if the person is interested.

If you act like it's hard, they'll think it's hard. If you act like
it's fun, they'll get that message too.

I do plan to do some demos as you suggested in your other
article,
including using a repeater, and maybe something related to
EchoLink.
This will depend a little on the background of the students,
something I
won't know until the first class.

I suggest that you present a wide variety and let them pick
and choose. Do not assume too much.

For example, I see many hams assuming that young people
will be interested in modes that use computers (like WinLink)
but not in modes like CW and AM using older technologies.

Yet in my experience the reverse is often true. The uniqueness
of those older modes and methods is often what they find most
interesting. They're surrounded by computers, networks, etc. -
those things are everyday, "Radio" is special to them.

You have to give them the big picture and let them pick the pieces
they like.

73 de Jim, N2EY