Old October 24th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dan Yemiola AI8O[_2_] Dan Yemiola AI8O[_2_] is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
36...
Klystron wrote in
:

Perhaps one of the reasons that many people believe that the old time
tests were so much more difficult is that at the time, they were for the
test taker! Some yougster taking a General test back in 1957 would
indeed find the test hard. After a few decades of college, practical
learning, work, and experience, and a look at the new tests, one can be
excused in thinking that they are "easy", because after all the
knowledge accumulation, they are easy.

Precisely my experience! In my day to day work I picked up a LOT of
electronics knowledge and experience.
NOT to BRAG but one day in 1983 I just happened to be in Detroit.
I just walked in and took the General test.
The secretary looked up my Novice license and then gave me the General test
and I upgraded to Tech Plus ( it ws just called TECH then).
The hardest part of the exam for me was the parts rules and regs that were
just arbitrary like Band limits and how many days you had to respond to a
violation notice.

Same with the EXTRA exam I took in 2000. Day to day working knowledge was
more than enough to pass the exam.

But not for everyone, and certainly the testing regimen should not be
tailored to the highest denominator, so to speak.

No I think the exam should have more questions to test not just hit the high
points but also test the depth of the testee's knowledge, that is I think
the exam should have more questions, not harder just more questions.