Old November 1st 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

"konstans" wrote in message

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
[snip]
Thanks for the correction Jim. I should have stated that what I don't
like on the tests is questions about what particular frequencies you are
allowed to operate on by your class.

Yet there are times such as mobile or portable operation that we don't
have that band chart with us. So it's nice to know our frequencies.

how many mobiles will premit out of band op Dee? none of mine will

All HF rigs that I have permit one to set and transmit SSB in the CW/Data
portion. That is operating out of band. Happened to a lot of continental
US folks last weekend in the CQ WW contest. I suppose they got excited and
weren't paying attention to the frequency readout.

only on HF can this be an issue since only hthere does the rules contiue
the
insanity ofparts of bands to deferent class (amoug the classes we still
issue)

You are overlooking the splits by mode. For example it is against FCC rules
for continental US stations to transmit any voice mode in the CW/DATA
portion.

Of course taking into account the bandwidth of the transmitted signal,
another question that would be better on the test than the simple
statement of frequencies.

I definitely agree that this should be a possible test question as one
can
be out of band simply due to the width of the signal. A lot of people
don't understand this until they get "dinged" so to speak. When I teach
class, I try to emphasize this.

I thought it was such a question

Even if there is a question in the pool, it may not show up in an actual
test. Basically the pool needs to contain several questions of this type to
insure that one does show up on the actual test taken.

Dee, N8UZE