Old November 1st 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Jack VK2CJC Jack VK2CJC is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

The new generation of HF transceivers -- the ones that have quite a bit of
computing ability built in -- do they have the ability to enforce
sub-bands? Certainly they *could* have that ability, since they already
"know" the band edges and in most cases won't allow you to transmit
completely outside a band allocation, but why not support the next step
and not allow SSB in the CW band?

I should imagine that this facility would be easily added as a feature. But
they never will. When I moved from the UK to Australia, I took my region 1
HF radios to region 3. I contacted Kenwood and Icom to find out if I could
reprogram the band edges to allow use of the larger 40m band. Both were very
helpful and told me how to "wide band" them, which fixed the problem.

I found out that the radios were available in 3 versions. One for each
region. And it was not possible to make one version into another without
replacing ICs at the factory.

If "mode sensitive" sub bands were programmed, every time someone moved, or
a change in bandplan was brought in, it would be nessesary to go to the
Yaecomwood dealership and ask to have the radio changed. An expensive, time
consuming and unnecessary exercise )

Besides. I wouldn't buy a radio that was restrictively programmed in a
manner I wasn't able to undo. Just for the principle of it.

--
Jack VK2CJC / MM0AXL
FISTS #9666