Old November 2nd 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

Jack VK2CJC wrote:

If "mode sensitive" sub bands were programmed, every time someone moved, or
a change in bandplan was brought in, it would be nessesary to go to the
Yaecomwood dealership and ask to have the radio changed. An expensive, time
consuming and unnecessary exercise )

Today's ham equipment has plenty of computing capacity to be able to
handle band edges, sub-bands, and band plans. These rigs can be
connected to a PC and programmed using software specific to the
equipment. For example, it's common to program local repeaters (and
not-so-local repeaters) into the memory of VHF/UHF rigs using the
software on the owner's PC then downloading the information into the rig.

It would be an easy programming effort to do the same kind of thing for
HF. Let the owner pick a starting place, perhaps by ITU region, and
modify it based on license class and/or personal preference.
Essentially I'm asking for the capability to program the details of band
plans into the rig and to easily change this information as desired.

Besides. I wouldn't buy a radio that was restrictively programmed in a
manner I wasn't able to undo. Just for the principle of it.

No, neither would I (except that I've bought rigs that won't transmit
outside of amateur allocations, presumably something that I could undo
given proper motivation). But that's not at all what I am suggesting.

For those of you who are upset with me as an "appliance operator", I
don't see anything wrong with using available technology to keep me from
doing something stupid.