Old November 4th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Battery question

Jack VK2CJC wrote:
Heres a couple of questions for someone who knows about batteries.

I have two hand held radios which I rarely use. An Alinco dual bander with
Nmhi batteries, and a commercial UHF with Nicad batteries. Both sets of
batteries are in good order and hold a charge well. I can leave them for
months and when I pick the radios up, they still have a good charge in them.

Today I lifted both radios, the first time in a month or two, and both had
totally flat batteries. I know both were fully charged when I last switched
them off. What happened? The weather has got warmer in the last month, and
the humidity levels are up. But nothing else has changed. What flattened
them both?

Also...

Last time I took a hand held radio abroad, I took 2 sets of batteries. Both
were fully charged when they were packed. Both were flat when I reached my
destination. Same with my mobile phone and camera batteries as well. All
were nearly flat and had not been switched on during the journey. What is it
that makes batteries go flat when travelling in a pressurised aircraft?

I hope someone can advise. I've been thinking about the aircraft one for
ages )

Nothing in an airplane makes batteries go flat.

Commercial aircraft are pressurized to an equivelant altitude of around
7-8 thousand feet.

I regularly fly at those altitudes in my unpressurized aircraft with
the backup handheld in a seat pouch and the batteries are just fine.

Perhaps the batteries aren't as good as you think or the last charge
was longer ago than you remember.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.