Old November 7th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Forty Years Licensed

AF6AY wrote:

'S Meter' levels aren't really standardized as to
receiver input signal levels except as a 'common use'
standard and a recommendation by the IARU. Yet
most are under the impression that all S Meters are
calibrated/scaled alike (they aren't) and routinely
report their S Meter readings in QSOs. :-)

Ain't that the truth! There is so much ambiguity in S-meters that they
are more for self comparison than anything else. I calibrated my S-meter
during an antenna comparison a year or so ago, and they wen't in
agreement, and they weren't linear - which is to say that while S-7
might be a bit high, and S-5 mogt be a bit low, and S-2 something else
altogether.

Coupled with what I understand was a change in how many db were
considered an S-unit to boot makes the S meter more of an entertainment
device, or more likely one of the less important functions of the meter
we use ot adjust power, alc, SWR and the like.

Amateur radio equipment, especially transceivers,
are designed and made for stand-alone use.
Peripherals are relegated to outside-the-antenna-
connector devices or different speaker boxes and
other audio processing things. The external
connections are standardized as to power input
(AC standards from the power distribution infrastructure
or DC power from the auto industry), computer
interface connections (USB, serial, parallel) if those
are included for read-out or computer control, and
'open-source' connections such as automatic antenna
tuners made by the originating manufacturer or by
independent suppliers. Microphone, headset/speaker,
morse key connections still aren't standardized
fully, not even as de facto standards; that allows
more sales of adapters for that small niche market. :-)

I'm puzzled about all this palaver over some bandplan
automatic lock-out on frequency control and transmitting.

Certainly those who have the most need for the lock outs wouldn't
program them in anyhow. But I find it just an interesting thought exercise.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -