Old November 7th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Fabian Kurz Fabian Kurz is offline

Default Linux for Hams

Michael Coslo wrote:
In finding the cure for Vista, I've installed Ubuntu Linux on my laptop.
It is turning out to be a tremendous OS, and it addresses one of my
major complaints of most flavors of Linux - that being whenever you try
to install a program, it takes you back to 1985 computing.

Any Linux lovin' hams here that have any advice or suggestions on good
programs, such as logging, propagation or the other apps we like to have?

The "Linux Hamradio Applications and Utilities Homepage" at
http://radio.linux.org.au/ is probably the most comprehensive
directory of Linux ham software. It's actively maintained and
contains over 400 different software packages, sorted by
categories like "logging", "morse", ...

I'm using Linux (and FreeBSD) for all my ham radio needs, which
is mainly logging (YFKlog for normal QSOs, YFKtest for contests)
and (very rarely) some digital modes (gmfsk, fldigi).

For some eyecandy, I am using xplanet to show me a world grayline
map on my desktop background, with markers for all DXCCs (colour
indicating cfmed/worked/needed). Of course, it's automatically
generated by my logging software.

Furthermore I have a small script running on my workstation here
which automatically check for new mail and send me the subject
line and sender in morse code if something arrives.

There are very many little neat things you can do in an Linux/Unix
environment with a short Perl/Python/Shell script, which is almost
impossible under Windows.

I started using Linux as my main OS about 4 years ago. Since
then, a lot has changed, both with Linux in general as an
operating system becoming more and more available for the
masses, but also in availability of decent ham radio
applications. And I am a little proud that I made my own, small
contributions to this. By making my own software available under
a free license and by submitting bug reports, patches and
suggestions to the numerous authors of excellent Linux ham radio
software.

73,
--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/