Old November 8th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
xpyttl xpyttl is offline

Default Linux for Hams

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
In finding the cure for Vista, I've installed Ubuntu Linux on my laptop.
It is turning out to be a tremendous OS, and it addresses one of my major
complaints of most flavors of Linux - that being whenever you try to
install a program, it takes you back to 1985 computing.

I'm afraid you will find that when you start installng many ham radio apps,
you are still back to 1985. One of the reasons I'm kind of a fan of Fedora
is that a number of ham related apps are part of the distro, and so install
easily like those on Ubuntu. Those apps, tho, aren't your loggers and such,
they are more the design apps that I happen to be interested in.

It doesn't have Ubuntu's eye candy, though, and unfortunately, Fedora is
intended to be the "bleeding edge" distro, so about as soon as you get it
installed it goes out of support. On the other hand, after many attempts,
they have heavy-duty security that is pretty painless. It took them quite a
few releases to get there tho, and the other distros haven't even started
down the path yet.