Old November 17th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default "Nobody Builds Anymore"?

On Nov 15, 9:09�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:

http://www.arrl.org/qex/2007/11/drent.pdf

Looks like it should be a really nice unit with good performance.

Some more observations....

The designer/builder/author is KW7CD, whose website has lots of
interesting stuff. 50 years a ham, author of many books and articles,
holder of several patents, and much more.

The rig looks like really good homebrew craftsmanship. Would love to
see inside - hope that's in a future issue.

One thing I found interesting was the rated power consumption. when AC
powered. 200 VA receive, 800 VA on full-power transmit! Possibly a
switching supply with low power factor?

The logical comparison to make is with the Elecraft K3. A K3/100 with
general coverage receive, TCXO and four optional filters is less than
$2450 (without power supply). I'll leave it to others to compare
numbers and features.

73 de Jim, N2EY