Old November 30th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] kelly@dvol.com is offline

Default Grounding my HF radio equipment

On Nov 29, 9:39 pm, (Dave Platt) wrote:
In article ,

.. . . . .

So is it legal to connect a phalanx of ham station ground rods to the
service entrance ground?? Or not.

As I understand it, according to the NEC, you must have only one
grounding *system* per building. This system may include two or more
ground rods, and/or a bare grounding wire buried in a trench around
the outside of the building. The ground rods and wires must be
securely bonded together with heavy-gauge wire... that's what ensures
that it's all one grounding "system".

.. . . . . . .

Makes complete sense and answers my basic question. Thank you David.

I have five 8' ground rods already installed with more coming. All of
them will be bonded together with about 100' of #8 bare solid copper.

Let's try one mo This place is a "This Old House" type abode. There
is no basement and no visible service entrance ground rod. There's a
tight dirt crawl space under the place which I'm not about to even try
to wiggle and squirm through to find the power wiring ground
connection. If there is a ground it's the 3/4" copper water supply
line from the street which pops up somewhere in the crawl space per
normal practice in days of yore around here. I know for a fact that
it's an old ~80' 100% copper line, not plastic. On the other hand the
service entrance panel box is quite accessible. Would it be OK if I
connected my ham grounding system to the neutral/ground bus in the
panel box instead of to the water line??

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

w3rv