Old December 13th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
The Shadow[_2_] The Shadow[_2_] is offline

Default Identification Question

"KC4UAI" wrote in message
I was looking for a graphic of the US Ham Bands that included the ARRL
band plan to replace the out of date posters in the club's shack. I
went to looking around and found a few neat looking PDF files but I
couldn't find a poster that has both the Part 97.301 and the ARRL band
plan in graphical form.

I couldn't find what I wanted, so in true ham radio style I started to
develop one of my own. While I was digging though part 97.301 and the
ITU band plans I came up with an unanswered question. In Part 97.301,
only 60 Meters is specified to be USB. The rest of the bands can
legally be used with either USB or LSB when using SSB phone. I figured
that the ARRL's band plan would specify USB or LSB for the band, but
they don't, at least in the tables I found.

I understand that there is a convention born of convenience when SSB
was just getting started. Apparently it was easier to build multi-
band rigs for SSB that did upper and lower side band on various bands
when this all got started but most of us don't build our rigs today.

Where can I find out what the convention here is for 160, 80, 40, 20,
17, 15, 12, 10, 6, 2 (and up) SSB phone operation?

Thanks!

-= bob =-

Extracted from the fcc question pool -- see google for "usb lsb convention"
get a pdf file "Technician Study Sheet"

sez

Radio Modes

The simplest radio signal is just a single frequency. By turning that radio
wave on and off, it's possible to send morse code (CW). Amplitude
Modulation is the simplest voice modulation scheme but it's not very
efficient because it has two identical (redundant) sidebands with the voice
information and the radio carrier that doesn't contain any information.
Amateur radios often use Single Sideband (SSB) transmissions that are
spectrally (space) and power efficient by removing one of the AM sidebands
and the carrier before transmission. This leaves either the upper or lower
sideband (USB/LSB). Convention dictates that lower sideband (LSB) signals
are used below 10MHz and upper sideband (USB) is used above 10MHz.

60M as you pointed out is USB

Lamont