Old December 14th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Identification Question

In article ,
KC4UAI wrote:

For identification I will:

IF, I'm just operating the club station on my own and not
participating in an officially sanctioned club activity I will
identify with *both* calls, the club first followed by mine.

That's fine. Perhaps overly-conservative, but it seems like a fine
operating practice.

IF, I'm operating the station during an officially sanctioned club
event, I will identify with the club call only and log that I was the
control operator.

That's safe, I think, *if* the club's trustee has a license class
equal to or greater than yours.

If not, then if you're transmitting in frequencies allowed by your
privileges but not by the trustee's, then you *must* take the
more-conservative approach of transmitting the club station's call,
stroke, your own callsign.

Otherwise, you'd end up with a situation in which listeners (possibly
including the OOs or the FCC) would hear an ID in (e.g.) the Extra
portion of the band, from a callsign belonging to a station which has
(e.g.) only General privileges. That could result in a letter from
Mr. Hollingsworth to the trustee, stating that the station had been
transmitting outside of its license privileges and asking for copies
of all of the logs, etc. That's the sort of situation best dealt with
by prevention :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO