Old December 15th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Klystron Klystron is offline

Default Identification Question

(Mark Kramer) wrote:

LORAN is still active, at least according to the Coast Guard.

LORAN "C" still exists* but LORAN "A" has been eliminated. It was
LORAN A that used part of what we call the 160 meter band.

* But just barely exists, at that. Take a look at a marine electronics
catalog. The only LORAN-related product that I was able to find by
searching an on-line catalog was a replacement antenna that was made by
Shakespeare. You would think that the flat panel multifunction displays
(depth, RADAR, fish finder, moving map, etc.) would have LORAN as an
option, to back up GPS, but it appears to me that they do not.

--
Klystron