Old December 18th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

Default Mobile Power Connector choices?

"KC4UAI" wrote in message

: : It's not been an issue for me until this Christmas when
: : my wife decided to get me a VHF/UHF mobile rig. I've
: : been using an older Icom 2 meter rig in both the cars
: : for years so both cars have Icom power cables in place,
: : but the new rig doesn't use the same power connectors.
: :
: : I'd like to settle on a common power connector for both
: : the radios, but I'm not all that sure where to go to
: : find something that is reasonably priced and is not
: : going to disappear in the future and force me to go out
: : and buy all new connectors again.
: :
: : I figured I'd not remove any of the existing connectors
: : on the radios, but build up short jumpers that adapt to
: : the connector of choice. I also figured that I'd use
: : the existing power wires by replacing the current Icom
: : power connector with what ever I pick.
: :
: : Any suggestions on what to use and where to get them?
: :
: : -= bob =-

I use "bullet" connectors, common in the UK for making up power leads, not
sure if you have them in the US..?

Here's a link to a UK supplier, you can see there what they are, obviously
you would use them in a polarised fashion, with the female connector on
the "live" feed from the battery.

These are the female ones:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...2724&doy=18m12

Male:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...e=14&doy=18m12

Hope this helps, note to whoever moderates this, I know it's a commercial
site but it's intended purely as a means of showing the type of connector
I mean :-)

73 Ivor G6URP