Old December 19th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default Mobile Power Connector choices?

On Dec 18, 1:10 pm, "xpyttl" wrote:

Icom VHF radios now all use the same T connector, and I believe almost all
other major manufacturers have moved to that connector for VHF/UHF radios.
Different connector for HF, tho. As KE7GKP points out, a *LOT* of groups
are moving to Anderson Power Pole connectors as a common connector, and this
is pretty convenient around the shack, too. Simply make a pigtail for each
rig with an APP connector, and now anything can connect anywhere, and odds
are your local club or ARES group will have a similar convention.

Well, after some investigation online, it seems that the Power Pole
solution is likely the most flexible for my purposes. The ARES group
I'm in doesn't specifically specify a configuration, but many of the
other groups in the area do specify the Power Pole.

I also decided to continue this standard into my shack so I can move
the various radios between various locations and not have to worry
about coming up with power connections all the time. There are also
some very nice distribution panels available from various
manufacturers that use this standard. I also found a distributer that
also has some clips that hold the connectors together in high
vibration environments (like my cars) and they also had some dust
covers to hopefully keep the dust and kids' fingers out when no radio
is installed.

I do wish that Anderson would put out a 2 conductor version of their
"power pack" products. It would be nice if you could build these with
built in clips and only have the size of 2 conductors instead of their
minimum 4, but I guess there may not be a huge market for that. Well
if they do come out with them in the future, it should be easy to
retrofit if I want.

Thanks for the help..

-= bob =-