Old December 19th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Mobile Power Connector choices?

In article ,
Howard Lester wrote:

Not to intentionally hijack the thread, but... ;-) Where can I buy those
T-connectors? I've looked in Allied and Newark catalogs and can't find them.
In order to make jumpers or quick-disconnects, for example, I need to have a
T-connector for my Yaesu mobiles (FT-1500 and FT-7800R) to attach to the
radio's existing cable. I'm not going to cut off the existing cable.

One source is http://www.powerwerx.com

They'll sell you the OEM "T" connectors with inserts ($1.95 per), or
a pre-made OEM-T-to-PowerPole adapter cable ($10 for a one-footer), or
a "universal both sides adapter" (one male T, one female T, two sets
of PowerPoles) for $15.

They also have the IC-7000 power connectors, FT-100 connectors, 6-pin
Molex, and lots of other goodies.

Oh... I've been advised that it's probably better not to use the small
metal "roll pins" to lock together individual PowerPole housing pairs.
At least one person has had problem with these pins popping out of the
connectors and (potentially) bouncing around in the vicinity of
battery terminals or other "hot" electrical contacts. Not good. If
you want to lock together the red and black halves of a pair, I'm told
that a drop of acetone or cyanoacrylate glue is a better way to do it.

I don't know if this caution applies to the retention clips, as I
haven't tried using these myself and don't know anyone who has.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO