Old February 15th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default CW Skimmer

Michael Coslo wrote:
Has anyone tried out CW Skimmer?

I have to admit that I checked the calendar to be sure it wasn't April
after reading about this.

I did a little searching on the web and found the same sales pitch
repeated several times. I did find an article by Pete Smith N4ZR at
http://www.pvrc.org/~n4zr/Articles/Skimmer.pdf that had some real-world
data.

My question, based on limited experience with the ability of computers
to copy CW in less-than-ideal conditions, is how many of the signals on
a crowded contest band it would actually be able to successfully decode.
Maybe this technology has made great leaps forward since I last tried
to use it, but I just can't see it being effective enough to dig the
signals out of the QRM and parse out the callsign.

I didn't find any actual use in a contest, so such real-world experience
would be most interesting.

73, Steve KB9X