Old February 25th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default 1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

wrote:
On Feb 25, 12:09 am, Mike Coslo wrote:
We are testing and
granting licenses at a pretty good clip. I don't have the numbers handy,
Anyone out there have them?

Easy - just go to

http://www.hamdata.com/fccinfo.html

For example, in the last 365 days FCC has licensed 27,211 new
amateurs.

And that isn't too bad. It also illustrates the extent of the falloff
that those 27K only makes for a small increase in the total. Just
something we have to live with for a few years.

I think we won't really know until around 7 to 10 years have passed.

Complicated by the fact that the rules are rarely left alone for
anywhere near that long.

Consider the past 25 years or so:

~1983: VE system created; question pools become public, license terms
doubled to 10 years

That 10 year thing is the direct precursor to the present dropoff. Of
course it just delayed the start by 5 years 8^)

On top of all that is the "anticipation effect". .......
.......... Could it be that there were
some folks waiting for the change to take place?

Absolutely! I know several myself, and as a VE, I expect to hear from
more in the future. I had hoped that once the requirement was dropped,
that they would not have waited so long to implement it.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -