Old February 26th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default 1 Year Later - ARS License Numbers Feb 2008

"Klystron" wrote in message
Alan WA4SCA wrote:
[snip]
* the almost complete lack of any reporting of this change to the world
outside ham radio. I would like to see a poll that asks people what they
know about this. My guess is that if you take one step outside of ham
radio circles, you will find that no one knows anything about it.

Since most of the "outside world" doesn't and didn't have a clue about the
requirements to get a ham license, publicizing the elimination of the Morse
code testing would have had little to no impact. The only way it might have
helped was in letting people know that ham radio exists.

* the aging (and death) of the ham population. The ten year license
term means that, on average, it will be five years before a dead ham is
dropped from the rolls, assuming that his heirs do not notify the FCC.

Try more like 6 years since there is a two year grace period after the
expiration date that also needs to be factored in.

Dee, N8UZE